Often times, your source data may change after publishing your Gist visualization. You can display your new data in your Gist visualization by replacing its datasource.
Replacing a datasource is simple process but there are a couple key requirements to keep in mind when updating your data source:
- Each of the column headers from the original dataset must also exist in the replacement datasource
- This also means that column headers from the existing dataset must be spelled exactly the same as in the replacement datasource
If either requirements above are not met, Gist will display a message saying 'Datasource are incompatible'. If this is the case, open your data source editor and update the column headers so that the new datasource contains the same columns as the current data source.
Restrictions aside, here are examples of changes that can be made in the replacement datasource:
- New columns can be added
- Rows can be added or removed
- Open the visualization editor for an existing visualization and navigate to the 'Source' tab
- Click 'Replace Datasource'
- The new datasource will porcess for a brief moment
- After processing, preview mode of the newly updated datasource is enabled.
- Optionally, you can make make changes to the visualization settings and view preview of the newly updated datasource to make sure that the updated data is displaying correctly
- At this point you can 'Publish' the updated data source to your existing visualization and also have the option to discard the updated data source and revert to the previous data source.
- After publishing the new data source, the new data will automatically display in the visualization.